Thursday, March 17, 2011

Forgiving Fellow Travelers.

Scripture Matthew 6: 9-13
This, then, is how you should pray: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

In January, Asbury began the New Testament Challenge. I was excited. THIS was the year that I was finally going to read and better understand scripture! I stopped short, however, at the Lord's prayer in Matthew 6. Though I had said the prayer in church numerous times, I had not paused to really examine the text, specifically concerning "forgiving others."

Though many years had passed, the pain from a previous relationship still lingered. I realized that I had not fully forgiven the individual. Denying forgiveness was keeping me chained to the past. The Easter promise reminds us of new life; when we fully forgive others, we can truly live our lives as God intended. Praise God!

Alicia Wolff
Walking the Road

Alicia Wolff teaches middle school music in the Raytown school district. She lives in Overland Park with husband Doug and two little girls.

Click here for The New Testament Challenge blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment