Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Companion for the Journey

Journey, path, road, byway, street, route... how many words describe our way? What footsteps can we follow? In the recent snowfall, footsteps are easy to find. Footsteps of the creatures that inhabit our backyard. Footsteps that find their way to our front door. My husband's footsteps as he heads to the bird feeders to provide food for the feathered neighbors. The postman's footsteps as he faithfully delivers our mail.

I have often been inspired by the familiar image of the traveler leaving footprints in the sand. There are two sets of footprints- one mine and one the Lord's. The story tells of the many times when the two become one, and the Lord answers, "my child, I never left you, for you see when the footprints become one set, I was carrying you."

The Lord has indeed carried me. Through my childhood, I experienced the loneliness of being an only child. Yet many of my happiest memories are associated with the love and devotion bestowed on me and my mother by our church. The strength of those church teachings and relationships led me to meeting my dearest soulmate- my husband. Through separations brought about by the aftermath of war, and the struggles in establishing our family in a new location in the country, I have always felt blessed with the companionship of Christ.

This does not mean I have not many times cried out with "why me?" But with growing experiences of faith I have learned that He indeed has carried and continues to carry me on my roadway.

Phyllis Sullins
Walking the Road 

Phyllis Sullins is a long-time member of Asbury. She and husband Russ live in Prairie Village. 

No comments:

Post a Comment