Saturday, March 19, 2011

Finding Strength on a Daily Journey.

 


"I can do all things through Him that strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Twenty years ago, as I labored over Wolf Creek Pass on my bicycle during Ride the Rockies with my son Jon and his friend Chris, I often glanced down at my handlebars. There I had taped Philippians 4:13. The trip was daunting and I needed inspiration.

In January 2010, I started working with seven at-risk youth and 11 adult mentors. We transformed an old race car into one powered by lithium-ion batteries. We covered it with a transparent skin and recorded a test-track mileage efficiency equal to 300 miles per gallon.

One day I pointed my camera’s telephoto lens at one young man’s arm so I could read his tattoo. “I can do all thing through Him that strengthens me,” it said. I sensed that we might share a deeper connection and it has proven to be so.

My friend watched slideshows of my grandchild, and I listened to his rap lyrics. His words were insightful and poignant, but sometimes rough, like his life. Our spirits connected with an invisible bond. Today he’s in business with a friend and plans to launch a music CD.

In early March the car was on display the Kansas City Auto Show. This once-shy young man engaged the public with a quick handshake and a bright smile. He radiated confidence. Much more than a race car had been transformed in the last year.

Our race car doesn’t have a number, but if it did, it would be 413.

Prayer: “Heavenly Father, open our eyes to the possibilities that you set before us. We know that as we travel life’s road, you are always with us, sometimes in ways that we could never foresee. We succeed only by your strength.”

Tom Strongman
Walking the Road


Tom Strongman is a journalist for the Kansas City Star, where he has been writing about cars for over twenty years. Tom lives in Leawood with his wife Susan, and enjoys having grandkids nearby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment