Friday, April 1, 2011

Trust in the Journey.

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him.” Psalm 28:7
Trusting in God is easily said, but not always easily done. I used to get to the point where I had exhausted all of my own capabilities and was utterly hopeless before completely placing all trust and hope in the Lord. As I have gotten older, I have learned that there are few things in life I can actually control, and for everything else I need God’s help.
One particular instance provided me with a tangible helplessness that allowed me to feel God’s presence and guidance in my life. I had just finished my freshman year of college and was flying back to the U.S. after spending two weeks with my parents in Prague. I had never flown alone before, and was slightly overwhelmed by the Amsterdam airport. I managed to get to a gate with the same airline and same connecting city, but a different flight time and flight number than my flight. By the time I realized the mistake, I had missed my flight to the U.S. I had no idea as to how to find a ticket counter, reschedule my flight, get another connecting flight, etc. I began to worry I would be stuck in Amsterdam.


A man traveling on leave from the navy happened to notice my situation and went with me to find a ticket desk. He waited while I got my flight rescheduled and walked me to my other gate. He made sure I had everything I needed before heading back to his own boarding area. I was so flustered by the entire situation, I may not have been able to calmly accomplish all of that on my own, with only a two hour delay in the end! As I got home much later, I reflected back upon the experience and realized that God had sent me an angel in the form of this man, who helped guide me when I was utterly petrified and all I could do is pray.


God may not always answer our prayers in such a tangible form, but the times that He does answer help us to remember that He is always there, supporting and guiding us. He is the caring and protective Father that made the ultimate sacrifice for us - sending His son to die for our sins. In this Lenten season, let us remember this sacrifice and give our trust and our lives to God, who will always give us the support we need.

Sonder Crane
Walking the Road 

Sonder Crane is a pediatric resident at Children's Mercy Hospital. She and husband Todd live in Roeland Park.

1 comment:

  1. Sonder -
    I love that angel! It must have been the same one as the time I was on a flight to Venice and woke up to find we'd landed in a different city - weather issues. I'd slept through the instructions of what to do. God was with me and an angel (who looked so like my grandfather) made sure my luggage and I were situated on the right bus to where I needed to go. I truly learned to trust in God on that trip. Lee Svet

    ReplyDelete