Sunday, April 24, 2011

Overwhelmed with Blessings

All these blessings will come down on you and spread out beyond you because you have responded to the Voice of God, your God. Deuteronomy 28.2

Hallmark has done a great job of getting us to send greeting cards. Most of us expect to get a number of cards to help us celebrate special occasions. A friend of my parents' takes this to the extreme. She sends them a card about every week to ten days, just to remind them that she is thinking about them and wishing them well. All of her cards are handmade by her and are quite attractive. These are not cards you read and throw away - you put them on display. My parents have so many of these little works of art that it is becoming a challenge to find room for them. Just as they get one put up, another arrives in the mail!

My father passed away last month. (And we got lots of cards, a nice blessing of caring.) Preparing for his memorial service, I thought about all the good times we had, and the nuggets of wisdom he passed on to me. I realized how much he shaped my character. I had more blessings than there was time to share.


As I delivered my remembrance at the service, I could not help but cry. It was not that I was sad. My dad had a great life and retirement. And I got to see him one more time just before he died. No, I was overcome by how awesome my blessings were, are, and continue to be.


Not everyone can say this, but my sister and I won the lottery, the parent lottery. My upbringing and support are my biggest blessings. What God has done for me is amazing. As I thank God for my many blessings, I also think about how God might use me to bless others. Am I available? Are my eyes open for opportunities? It's something to think about and ask God's help with at Easter time and beyond.

Have you been overwhelmed with blessings?

John Ebert
Walking the Road


John serves on the Interfaith Hospitality Network team. He lives in Merriam, Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment