Saturday, April 2, 2011

Doubts Along the Way.

Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?’ John 14:5
But he (Thomas) said to them, ‘Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in his side, I will not believe.’ John 20:25
The apostle Thomas, sometimes called Doubting Thomas, is one of my favorite characters in the New Testament. I have been very blessed to be in an Old Testament and now a New Testament Disciple Bible Study during the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011. The teacher of these classes has been amazing and has added so much to the class with additional research and commentaries on the weekly assigned reading.


But, I must admit, even with so much more knowledge of scripture than I ever had before, I find myself sometimes easily identifying with Thomas. The more I learn, sometimes I feel as Thomas seems to in John 14:5. I just simply do not understand. Thomas was honest and plainly told the Lord he did not understand.

And then there is Thomas’ doubt of the resurrected Jesus and his appearance to his disciples on the evening of Easter Sunday, because Thomas was not with the disciples when Jesus came the first time. Thus the verse, John 20:25.

A week later the disciples were gathered together again, including Thomas, and Jesus came and stood among them. Jesus said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here and see my hands; and put out your hand and place it in my side; do not be faithless, but believing.’ John 20:27. We know after this Thomas did acknowledge Jesus as his Lord and God.


And so, if one of Jesus’ closest friends, one of his 12 disciples, did not always understand and had doubts, then it must be okay if I also lack understanding and have doubts. God will be patient with me as I continue in my journey of Christian faith to gain understanding, knowledge and remove doubts. It’s almost as if Thomas gives us “permission” to feel this way sometimes. And even though we may remember Thomas for his doubting, we also know through scripture he was capable of tremendous devotion and courage.

And, I can identify with Thomas in one other way – I do acknowledge Jesus as my Lord and my God.


Prayer: Thank you God for Holy Scripture with so many different stories and different characters that we may learn from, as we seek to grow in our own faith and live the Christian life you call us to. Amen.

Julia Cotter
Walking the Road

No comments:

Post a Comment