Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Choosing the Road

When I moved to Kansas City in 1985, I only knew a few people in town – mostly college friends. As with college, I was many miles from my immediate family. Since I had grown up going to church every Sunday, I didn’t even think about whether I would go to church each week – it was already in my DNA, I knew I would go to church regularly – so I started church shopping.

In college at Baker University, I was a member of the Baker pLaymen (we were laymen of the church who did plays – get it?), so even in college, I went to church most Sundays. Often, as a member of the pLaymen, we were church – sharing our “chancel dramas” (30ish-minute plays based on scripture). I actually remember being at Asbury one Sunday morning, sharing our drama, Onesimus, based on a kind of obscure passage from Philemon, a New Testament book so short that it only has one chapter. In Onesimus, my “entrance” was down the center aisle – and I had one sentence to say, which got me about 10 pews into the sanctuary. So, I got to vamp a little – make up some filler dialogue as I practically ran the rest of the way – down that long center aisle. (It’s no wonder brides love it – you really get to make an entrance!) Anyway, Asbury left an impression on me……

So, a few years later, when I was looking for a church home, Asbury was on my list to visit. Several of my pLaymen friends were from Topeka – and Bud Cooper had been their home pastor. They loved him. So, when I found out that Bud was now the pastor at Asbury, I came back several times, just to hear him preach. For those of you who have been around awhile, you may remember that the pulpit used to sit a bit higher up. In fact, when Bud spoke, I was pretty sure that some of what he shared was being whispered to him right from God, because, standing in that high pulpit, he was pretty close to heaven!

Anyway, besides Bud, the other people at Asbury were quite friendly – very welcoming. And, I knew that I wanted Asbury to be my church home. I chose to be here. And, I continue to choose to be here. Through the loss of a job and my dear parents, Asbury was my home, supporting me and helping me pick up the pieces. And, Asbury continues to be my home and my family – not just to support me, but also to celebrate things with me and, yes, to walk with me – on the road toward the cross.

Prayer: Gracious God – Thank you for Asbury Church. Thank you for leading me to Asbury. Please help me in my walk toward You – and use me, Lord, as someone who can help and strengthen others as we journey together, ever closer to You. Amen.




Mary Moyer. Walking the Road




Mary is the Director of Administrative Ministries at Asbury. You can email her at marym@visitasbury.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment